Biomedical scientists are the foundation of modern healthcare, from cancer screening to diagnosing HIV, from blood transfusion for surgery to food poisoning and infection control. Without biomedical scientists, the diagnosis of disease, the evaluation of the effectiveness of treatment, and research into the causes and cures of disease would not be possible. The Fundamentals of Biomedical Science series is written to reflect the challenges of practicing biomedical science
today. It draws together essential basic science with insights into laboratory practice to show how an understanding of the biology of disease is coupled to the analytical approaches that lead to diagnosis.
Assuming only a minimum of prior knowledge, the series reviews the full range of disciplines to which a Biomedical Scientist may be exposed - from microbiology to cytopathology to transfusion science. Alongside volumes exploring specific biomedical themes and related laboratory diagnosis, an overarching Biomedical Science Practice volume gives a grounding in the professional and experimental skills with which any Biomedical Scientist must be equipped.
· Understands the complex roles of Biomedical Scientists in the modern practice of medicine.
· Understands the development needs of employers and the Profession.
· Addresses the need for understanding of a range of fundamental sciences in the context of Biomedicine.
· Places the theoretical aspects of Biomedical Science in their practical context.
Biology of Disease addresses the pathophysiology of specific disease states and evaluates the multidisciplinary approach to disease diagnosis and management.
Starting with an introduction to the basic concepts of health and disease, the book graduates to an in-depth discussion of disease states, while illustrating throughout how theory is linked to practice. Within each chapter case studies are used to illustrate how theory is linked to Biomedical Science practice and research strategies that are adopted to further the understanding of disease mechanisms are discussed. Written in a comprehensive and easy to understand manner, Biology of
Disease clearly illustrates how the various Biomedical Science disciplines are integrated to diagnose and monitor complex disease states.
Online Resource Centre
The Online Resource Centre to accompany Biology of Disease features:
For registered adopters of the book:
- Figures from the book, available to download
- An interactive Digital Microscope, encouraging the exploration of tissue samples
- Self-assessment modules to help you check and reinforce understanding of the basic science introduced in each volume
- Video podcasts including interviews with practicing biomedical scientists, and 'in the lab' footage showing biomedical science in practice