Diabetes and its Management is a practical clinical guide to doctors, specialist nurses and other health professionals charged with the care of people with diabetes. Its emphasis is on clinical management, but some of the background to the basic causes of the disease and its complications is presented.
Section 1: Basic Principles of Diabetes and its Biochemistry.
1. Diagnosis and classification.
2. Epidemiology of diabetes.
3. Synthesis, secretion and actions of insulin.
4. Metabolic changes in diabetes: a summary.
5. Aetiology and genetics.
Section 2: Clinical Presentation and Treatment.
6. Clinical features of diabetes.
7. Management of Type 2 diabetes.
8. Management of Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
10. Diabetic hyperglycaemic emergencies.
11. Management of diabetes during surgery and other illnesses.
Section 3: Special Situations.
12. Pregnancy and diabetes.
13. Diabetes in children.
Section 4: Diabetic Complications.
14. An overview of microvascular complications.
15. Diabetes and the kidney.
16. Diabetic eye disease.
17. Diabetic neuropathies.
18. The diabetic foot.
19. Cardiovascular disease, hypertension and lipids.
Section 5: Diabetic Care.
21. Living with diabetes.
22. Organization of care.