Theory & Practice of Therapeutic Massage, Sixth Edition, comprehensively provides the foundation of knowledge required to become a massage professional. It delves into several areas within the profession, with chapters devoted to spa massage, lymph massage, clinical massage techniques, therapeutic procedure, athletic massage, massage in medicine, and more. Providing a fresh new design, updated terminology and expanded content on topics such as research literacy and business administration, this new edition provides the essential knowledge and skills needed to become a successful massage therapist and will be a reference that users can count on throughout their careers.
PART I: The History and Advancement of Therapeutic Massage.
1. Historical Overview of Massage.
2. Requirements for the Practice of Therapeutic Massage.
3. Professional Ethics for Massage Practitioners.
PART II: Human Anatomy and Physiology.
4. Overview of Human Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology.
5. Human Anatomy and Physiology.
PART III: Massage Practice.
6. Effects, Benefits, Indications, and Contraindications of Massage.
7. Equipment and Products.
8. Infection Control and Safety Practices.
9. Consultation and Documentation.
10. Classification of Massage Movements.
11. Preparations for the Practitioner.
12. Procedures for Complete Body Massages.
13. Cold, Heat, and Hydrotherapies.
14. Massage in the Spa Setting by Steve Capellini.
15. Clinical Massage Techniques.
16. Lymph Massage.
17. Therapeutic Procedures.
18. Athletic/Sports Massage.
19. Massage for Special Populations.
20. Massage in Medicine.
21. Other Therapeutic Techniques.
PART IV: Massage Business Administration.
22. Business Practices.