The go-to resource for class, clinical, and practice--now in full color!
A team of noted OTA and OT leaders and educators deliver practical, in-depth coverage of the most common adult physical conditions and the corresponding evidence-based occupational therapy interventions.
The authors blend theory and foundational knowledge with practical applications to OTA interventions and client-centered practice. This approach helps students develop the critical-thinking and clinical-reasoning skills that are the foundation for professional, knowledgeable, creative, and competent practitioners.
New & Updated! Content that incorporates language from the 4th Edition of the Occupational Therapy Practice Framework and aligns with the latest ACOTE standards
New & Updated! Full-color, contemporary photographs that reflect real clients and OT practitioners in diverse practice settings
New Chapters! Occupational Justice for Diverse and Marginalized Populations, Motor Control and Neurotherapeutic Approaches, Sexual Activity and Intimacy, Dementia: Understanding and Management, and The Influence of Aging on Occupational Performance
"Evidence-Based Practice," highlights recent research articles relevant to topics in each chapter, reinforcing the evidence-based perspective presented throughout the text.
"Putting It All Together: Sample Treatment and Documentation" uses evaluation, treatment, and documentation based on one relevant case from each diagnosis chapter to connect what students are learning in the classroom and the lab to real-world, skilled, client-centered care.
"Technology & Trends" highlights new and relevant technology or treatment trends and also shows how common technologies may be used in unique ways.
Client examples provide context for how the conditions impact function and how to consider the person when doing an intervention.
"Case Studies" based on real-life examples illustrate important learning points and feature questions to develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
Review questions at the end of each chapter assess progress, knowledge, and critical thinking while offering practice with certification-style questions.
1. Disability & Participation: Client-Centered Occupational Therapy
2. Professional Considerations for Occupational Therapy Assistants
3. Respectful Interactions with Diverse Clients
4. The Continuum of Care and the Changing Healthcare Environment
5. Health Promotion and Wellness for the Client and Practitioner
6. Teaching and Learning with Clients and Community
7. Developing the Occupational Profile and Analyzing Occupational Performance
8. Vision and Visual Perception
10. Self-Feeding, Swallowing, and Communication
11. Sensation, Wounds, and Pain
12. Range of Motion: Assessment and Intervention
13. Muscle Strength: Assessment and Management
14. Transfers Across the Continuum: Safety and Management
15. Motor Control and Neurotherapeutic Approaches
16. Assistive Technology and Home Modifications
17. Seating and Wheeled Mobility
18. Driving and Community Mobility
19. Work Rehabilitation and Retraining
20. Physical Agent Modalities
21. Orthotics: Fabrication and Management
22. Orthopedic Considerations: Spine, Pelvis, Hip, and Knee
23. Orthopedics Considerations: The Shoulder
24. Arthritic Diseases: Factors, Adaptations, and Treatment
25. Comprehensive Hand Management
26. Amputations & Prosthetics: Components, Training, and Treatment
27. Chronic Disease Management: Utilizing a Self-Management Approach
28. Cardiopulmonary Conditions and Treatment
29. Bariatric Factors and Management
30. Burns Across the Continuum of Care
31. Oncological Care and Treatment
32. Sexual Intimacy
33. Motor Unit & Myopathic Diseases: Considerations and Treatment
34. Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System: Understanding and Management
35. Dementia: Understanding and Management
36. Cerebral Vascular Accident: Critical Aspects and Components of Care
37. Traumatic and Acquired Brain Injury: Management and Treatment
38. Spinal Cord Injury and Disease: Factors and Essential Care
39. Polytrauma & Complex Multiple Conditions
40. Impacts of Childhood Conditions Across the Lifespan
41. The Influence of Aging on Occupational Performance