From his decades of research and work with thousands of families, leading authority Russell A. Barkley knows how overwhelming the everyday challenges of ADHD can be. This unique book guides parents to help their child or teen thrive and keep their loving connection strong, even in hot-button situations. Dr. Barkley presents 12 key parenting principles that address the most common problems that ADHD poses, such as family conflicts, difficult behavior, school problems, out-of-control emotions, and parental stress. He shows how cultivating a mindset of acceptance and compassion--together with an understanding of the executive function deficits of ADHD--gives parents powerful new tools for supporting their child's success. Concise, inspiring, and filled with quick-reference lists and tips, this is the perfect book for parents to read cover to cover or pick up any time they need extra support.
- Introduction: Understanding ADHD
- Principle 1. Use the Keys to Success
- Principle 2. Remember That It's a Disorder
- Principle 3. Be a Shepherd, Not an Engineer
- Principle 4. Get Your Priorities Straight
- Principle 5. Mindful Parenting: Be There and Be Aware
- Principle 6. Promote Your Child's Self-Awareness and Accountability
- Principle 7. Touch More, Reward More, and Talk Less
- Principle 8. Make Time Real
- Principle 9. Working Memory Isn't Working: Offload It and Make It Physical!
- Principle 10. Get Organized
- Principle 11. Make Problem Solving Concrete
- Principle 12. Be Proactive: Plan for Difficult Situations at Home and Away
- Conclusion: Putting It All Together