Promoting Health: A Practical Guide continues to offer health promotion workers with an essential guide to day-to-day planning and service delivery in a variety of different areas of practice.
Now entering its seventh edition, this volume has achieved its popularity by explaining in clear and simple language the what, why, who and how of public health theory and practice. Starting with the definition of health, the book explores what problems face modern society and examines what international and national agencies are doing to address the challenge. The book then guides the reader to the regional level and explains how to apply research theory and practice to day-to-day policy planning as well offering guidance on the successful implementation of local strategies. Rich in case studies and reflective exercises, additional features include:
- Text features are designed to keep readers involved - so that learning is an active, enjoyable process
- Examines the concept of need and provides tools to assist in the identification of health promotion needs
- Describes the knowledge and skills required to draw on evidence, undertake research and use various techniques to inform and prioritise health promotion practice
- Shows how to develop key skills that include information management, report writing, time management, project management, and change management
- Looks at the effectiveness of good communication skills and emphasises the importance of establishing high-quality professional relationships
- Looks at the concept of 'value for money' via learning ways of thinking based in health economics
- Provides practical guidance on the preparation of communication tools which range from leaflets, posters and display boards to the use of radio and television
- Shows how to ensure that health promotion work contributes to local and national strategies
Placing an emphasis on practical interventions for better health, this book offers an essential, easy-to-read guide designed to ensure effective practice in every area of health promotion work.
Part 1 Thinking about Health and Health Promotion
Part 2 Planning and Managing for Effective Practice
Part 3 Developing Competence in Health Promotion