Identify risk factors and potential emergencies before they occur with Preventing Medical Emergencies, the only book on the market to provide dental professionals, hygienists, and assistants with step-by-step procedures for preventing medical emergencies and effectively managing them when they occur. Organized to follow the most recent American Dental Association Health History form, the book includes easy-to-find follow-up questions for all conditions, along with clinically relevant treatment plan modifications and strategies for preventing and managing specific emergencies.
You’ll find easy-to-follow coverage of general pathophysiology, medical management of patients with compromised health, screening techniques for identifying patients at risk for complications, as well as ways to manage in-office emergencies, such as adverse drug interactions. Case studies throughout the book explore a wide range of medical conditions and bring concepts to life, while a wide range of self-test, review, and case study questions help you master key concepts and procedures.
- Real world case studies with accompanying questions demonstrate risk factors and their management for a wide range of medical conditions, such as diabetes, pregnancy, coronary artery disease, and more
- Unique, easy to find follow-up questions for all conditions on the most recent ADA Health History form help you obtain more detailed patient histories, identify potential risks, and make appropriate treatment plan modifications.
- Step-by-step procedures for preventing medical emergencies, as well as for effectively managing those emergencies that do occur, prepare you for safe patient practice.
- Up-to-date coverage of managing care for patients with special needs, such as cystic fibrosis, intellectual disabilities, and traumatic brain injury, prepares you for specific challenges in preventing medical emergencies.
- Built-in learning aids, including key terms with definitions and self-study, review, and case study questions, help you master key concepts and procedures.
- Videos illustrating procedures for the most common medical emergencies in dental practice.