Written by a team of leading authorities in pathogenesis, diagnostic techniques, and clinical management strategies in myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), this text provides a concise, easy-to-follow review of the advances in the science, classification, diagnosis, and management of the condition.
An ideal source for hematologists, oncologists, and cancer researchers, this Second Edition features:
- a new eight-page color insert
- 200 color and black-and-white illustrations
- reworked content organized into three sections: MDS epidemiology and biology; diagnosis, classification, and prognosis; and MDS therapy
- thoroughly updated chapters reflecting a shift from the topical focus as dictated by the evolution of the field
New topics in Myelodysplastic Syndrome include:
- del(5q) and 5q-syndrome, CMML, and MDS-MPD overlap syndrome
- the reborn DNA methyltransferase inhibiting nucleoside analogs
- the diagnosis of chronic myelomonocytic leukemia and other MDS cases with myeloproliferative features
- the role of mitochondria and the potential importance of iron overload in MDS
- global genomics approaches, such as cDNA expression arrays, array-based comparative genomic hybridization, and single nucleotide polymorphism array
- the role of abnormal mitochondrial ferritin accumulation and other mitochondrial metabolic anomalies in MD
- other disease-associated alterations, such as abnormalities of B lymphocyte populations in MD
- three recently approved drugs: azacitidine, lenalidomide, and decitabine
1. Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Historical Aspects and Classification. 2. Epidemiology of MDS. 3. Cytogenetics & Molecular Biology of MDS. 4. Global Genomic Approaches to MDS. 5. The Role of Apoptosis in MDS. 6. The Role of Mitochondria in MDS. 7. Defects in Iron Metabolism and Iron Overload in MDS. 8. Therapy-Related MDS and Myeloid Leukemia. 9. Diagnosis of MDS: Criteria and Challenges. 10. Hypocellular MDS and Hypocellulcar Acute Myeloid Leukemias: Relationship to Aplastic Anemia. 11. Diagnostic Utility of Flow Cytometry. 12. Deletion 5q and 5q-Syndrome in MDS. 13. CMML and MDS-MPD Overlap Syndromes. 14. MDS in Children. 15. Prognostic Factors in the Assessment of Patients with MDS. 16. Therapeutic Strategies: The Approsch to Care of Patients w/ MDS, and Criteria for Response. 17. Management of Cytopenias in MDS. 18. Immune Dysregulation And The Role For Immunotherapy in Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS). 19. Lenalidomide Therapy in MDS. 20. DNA Methyltransferase Inhibitor Therapy in MDS. 21. Intensive Chemotherapy and Stem Cell Transplantation in MDS.