The definitive textbook on the use of lithium in the treatment of mental disorders, this comprehensive work provides an up-to-date analysis of lithium, including:
- Clinical applications, including its use for mania, bipolar and schizophrenic disorders
- Use in special populations, for example in children, the elderly and people with medical conditions
- The effect on the body and behavior, including neurological, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular and dermatological effects, as well as those relating to the kidneys and thyroid
- Basic findings in pharmacology, chemistry, transport in the body, pharmacokinetics, signal transduction pathways, immune function, gene regulation.
- Practical issues, such as guidelines for safe use, discontinuation issues, compliance, intoxication, and economics.
Edited by top experts from the International Group for the Study of Lithium Treated Patients (IGSLi), Lithium in Neuropsychiatry: A Comprehensive Guide is a unique and vital resource for psychiatrists, psychopharmacologists, psychotherapists and neuroscientists.
A. Introduction and History B. Clinical Applications B1. Mood and Related Disorders B2. Special Populations and Applications in Medicine B3. Effects on Body Systems C. Pharmacology and Mechanisms D. Practical Issues